With 2011 history and 2012 still something of a mystery, we decided that the time was ripe for something of a retrospective rounding up the greatest business-friendly gadgets of the past 12 months.
With technologies moving fast, 2011 brought some great offerings to the workers of the world. Here are our top picks of the year’s best gadgets for businessmen, all of which are still available in stores, with the bonus chance of bagging a January bargain.
Apple’s iconic tablet leapt into its second incarnation in 2011, bringing with it a huge number of business applications. Having proved its staying power in an ephemeral market, the iPad 2 was the cue for business bosses across a wide range of industries to jump on the tablet train, kitting out staff with these nifty little helpers that proved perfect for streamlining processes across a range of industries. The lightweight hardware offers on-the-go access to a range of benefits including:
- Communications – from email to video conferencing, iPad 2 offers all.
- Information – whether accessing stored documents or logging into bespoke white label business apps, users have all the info they need at their fingertips.
- Organization – calendars, reminders, lists and more – the modern businessman uses the iPad 2 to keep him on the right track at all times.
Bose Bluetooth Headset
For businessmen, staying in touch means staying ahead of the pack, so communications are key. The introduction in 2011 of the Bose Bluetooth Headset revolutionized mobile voice comms – helping the power brokers be heard wherever they were. Using Adaptive Audio Adjustment, this great little gadget helps block out background sound in input and output to offer superlative sound quality for communication.
Lenovo ThinkPad X301
While tablets may be storming the business world, there is still a place for the best notebook laptops, with one of last year’s best examples being the ThinkPad X301. Cheaper than the MacBook Air, this lightweight laptop is only a fraction wider and incorporates a trio of USB ports and ethernet connection, making it perfect for the traveling businessman.
No worker worth their salt would be without their iPhone, but 2011 brought us the iPhone 4S – the best possible smartphone offering for business so far. Features that had the business community singing the praises of the iPhone 4S:
- Siri – the intelligent assistant feature helps businessmen get organized.
- Notification Center – all alerts on one screen offering the chance to check email, voicemail and all other comms at a glance on the go.
- Upgraded reminders – iPhone-toting businessmen didn’t miss a trick in 2011 with a top notch reminder facility, incorporating GPS recognition, helping them keep track of what to do when and where.
Encrypted USB Storage
2011 was the year when trustworthy USB storage became truly accessible to the masses. With business users needing to ensure security for their sensitive data, devices such as the McAfee Encrypted USB Phantom drive offered a sensible solution, incorporating the best of biometrics with fingerprint recognition to ensure only authorized access.